Saturday 17 November 2012

Four in a row
Tuesday 13 November was dinner at Haberdashers Hall with the Worshipful Company of Gardeners . A very pleasant evening in impressive surroundings . The principal guest was the Earl of Selborne who spoke on sustainablity . This is a particular interest of the Master Rex Thornborough who I have met through WET10.
The next day was most interesting . Whe Lis and I were in South Africa in August we were in very rural communities and often these have antique shops and as you know we are incorrigible collectors . For a very small sum I bought some old spectacle lenses on the basis that we knew someone who collected them . Well we could not find who that was and I met the clerk to the Spectacle Makers at a dinner and told him about this . He told the curator, Neil Handley  of the British Optical Association , College of Optometrists  near Charing Cross . I visited him on the morning of the 14 November and was pleased to find that the lenses were of WW1 vintage and I donated them to the Museum in my capacity as Master Water Conservator .
After an interlude at Trinity House I went on to the Lord Mayor's Address to Masters , Wardens , Clerks and so on  ........ for those of you who read this I was distracted by a small challenge in Wales which  has consumed all my time .. so back to my blog ! The addres was inspiring and I was very pleased to hear the Lord Mayor say ... 'to stay true to the past , we must  change continually' . He said that he would be writing to Companies regarding his notion that we should build our capital through legacies which is  now more attractive under the inheritance taxation rules  under the title Livery Legacy ? I was honoured to be asked to ask a question regarding the changes to City Briefings which have been suspended pending a review which will completed in the New Year . So I added the compliments of the Company  and said that we would give consideration to his proposal .
Which is what I reported at the FMGP the following day - Thursday 15th - the four event in a row . Have a nice weekend  ! Finished Nov 17th



No comments:

Post a Comment